“Breaking the Silence,” an OurHealth Lynchburg & Southside Magazine series, explores medical and social issues that can be devastating to the individuals and families they affect. Read more..
You’ve heard the phrase you are what you eat? Well, not literally, of course. But there is some truth to that cliché. We should seek nutritionally dense foods (the ratio of nutrients to calories) to gain the most benefits from our diet — protein to help promote building muscle, fiber to help regulate the digestive system and carbohydrates to provide energy. There are also some foods said to increase our metabolism and burn unwanted fat. Read more..
Not many people work in a profession that requires them to dedicate their lives to helping others like the field of healthcare does. During national healthcare recognition, we have challenged people to sum up in one or a few words the impact their profession means to them and how important it is for their community. Read more..
If you’re one of the 50 million people in America who suffer from allergies, you probably greet spring with equal parts delight and dread, getting ready for an equal amount of sunbathing and sneezing. Read more..
The urge to keep your New Year’s resolutions may have you rushing out to hit the pavement for a few miles. After all, you don’t want to lose your momentum. However, it’s important to put your health and long-term goals first and make avoiding injuries your top priority. Read more..
Local Health Updates
- Time to Get Stroke Savvy
- Public Encouraged to Learn Warning Signs, Prevention and Treatment Tips
- Centra Lynchburg General Hospital Recognized in National Consumer Study for Heart Surgery
- Memorial Hospital Names 2017 Mercy Award Winner
- Centra Receives a $16,000 March of Dimes Virginia Chapter Grant to help fund Centra Virginia Baptist Hospital’s and Centra Southside Community Hospital’s Before Baby Moms Clubs.
- Centra Urgent Care Facility in Forest Now Open